The FFIEC’s release on March 30, 2018 occurs six months ahead of typical release schedules due to recent changes of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) HMDA submission methods. While the FFIEC historically releases data in a series of flat files and reports, the data was published via an online portal to allow users to search and download modified LAR files. The website notes that report publications will be coming soon.
The data is current as of April 18, 2018 and includes 5,852 institutions comprising 14,283,727 records. The following adjustments have been made to the data downloaded from the CFPB website:
- The portal included demo institutions that were removed from the data.
- The Respondent IDs were adjusted to follow the previous year’s 10 characters syntax.
- Some fields of the institution level transmittal sheet are not currently available.
- The asset field for several Institutions is now listed as -1.
- There were approximately 3,400 LAR records where the MSA was actually the micropolitan area or the CBSA. These were adjusted back to the HMDA MSA using the lookup of the LAR census tract from the 2017 FFIEC census file.